The first Captain America movie was certainly one of the weaker movies in the Marvel catalog, but its sequel The Winter Soldier has proved itself to be one of the strongest. It is probably the Marvel film that is most focused on story, that’s for sure. In Winter Soldier, Cap must investigate into a plot within SHIELD to compromise its organization, and from there comes many twists and turns which will keep the audience intrigued.
Captain America may not be the most showy superhero, but he worked well in this movie. The fight scenes were well choreographed to his abilities and were exciting, and his steadfast boy scout antics worked as well. He’s an easy character to follow and like.
Some of the action highlights were:
- the fight on the ship
- Nick Fury’s car chase (and I normally dislike car chases, but there was more to it than just the chase)
- the elevator
All in all, a pretty awesome comic book movie. Its right up there at the top with Avengers and the first Iron Man.
Its solid, however, not perfect. Mind you, most of my complaints are nitpicky, so take them with a grain of salt.
- Shield’s futuristic gadgetry and tech: I really hate this stuff. Things like the “ground melter” the “face changer” etc. They feel out of place in a way that I can’t quite put my finger on, and they are awful plot devices. They are such a catch-all deus ex machina that its a joke. This is the reason I couldn’t watch more than 5 minutes of the SHIELD tv show.
- The climactic fight was a little drawn out – This is a problem I have with almost all action action movies. It might have something to do with the fact that I know where point B is at that point in the movie and its frustrating which it takes so many villains getting back on their feet and jumping back in the way to get there.
- The actual Winter Soldier – his back story, and the impact that follows from that, felt shoehorned in slightly. But he was cool in the fight scenes.
- I want to stress the gadgets again.
There, now that that’s off my chest.. Winter Soldier. Its good.